By: Roberta Fiorito and Briana Anderson
With spring break just around the corner, we’re carb-cutting and burning cals like crazy to get that perfect bikini-ready bod. We’ve put together a few quick workouts to switch up your routine and help you get the most out of your time and exercise, no equipment needed.
1. CARDIO/LEGS: X Hops
- 16 reps per circuit (8 per leg)
- Step 1: Start in squat position before jumping up and extending your legs.
- Step 2: In the air, split your legs and land in a lunge position with your right leg forward and left leg behind. Make sure your weight is equally distributed between both legs.
- Step 3: Jump back into the air and adjust your legs to land in a squat position. Make sure to land on the balls of your feet first before rolling through the flat and heel and maintain ‘soft’ knees to prevent injury.
- Step 4: Once in the squat position, jump upwards again, landing in a lunge position with your left leg forward and right leg back.
- Step 5: Jump back to the squat position, and repeat.
2. ABS: Straight Leg Jackknives
- 20 reps per circuit
- Step 1: Lay straight on your back with your arms above your head.
- Step 2: Engage your abs by pulling your belly button to your spine.
- Step 3: Keeping feet together, lift your legs to a 90 degree angle with your hips. At the same time, bring your hands up towards your feet, slowly lifting your head, shoulders and torso off the floor.
- Step 4: Squeeze your abs, then slowly release arms and legs outward, lying back down to the starting position.
3. LEGS: Sumo Jump Squats
- 15 reps per circuit
- Step 1: Plant both feet on the floor wider than shoulder width– point feet slightly outward. Looking straight ahead, bend at both the hips and knees, ensuring that your knees point toward your toes
- Step 2: Continue bending your knees until your upper legs are parallel with the floor, ensuring that your back remains between 45 and 90 degrees of your hips.
- Step 3: Lean your body forward slightly so that you are able to place your hands on the floor in front of you.
- Step 4: Push up through your heels and propel your body upwards into the air. Extend your legs whilst in the air before landing back into sumo squat position. When landing, ensure that you land through the balls of your feet first before rolling through the flat and heel and maintain ‘soft’ knees to prevent injury. Repeat.
4. ARMS: Broad Jump Burpees
- 15 reps per circuit
- Step 1: Standing with your feet slightly wider than shoulder width apart, assume a squat position leaning your body forward slightly to allow you to place your hands on the floor in front of you.
- Step 2: Kick your feet backwards into pushup position, resting on the balls of your feet.
- Step 3: Transfer your body weight onto your hands and jump your feet inwards and into squat position.
- Step 4: From this position, jump both forwards and upwards from both feet, landing on both feet (broad jump). When landing, ensure that you land through the balls of your feet first before rolling through the flat and heel and maintain ‘soft’ knees to prevent injury. Repeat.
Bring on Spring Break 2015!